Thursday, May 15, 2008

About Teaching

BECAUSE I've been critical of writing programs doesn't mean I'm against teachers, or don't understand the tremendously difficult job teaching is. As I mentioned in a response to a comment, I've done some teaching myself, as an uncertified substitute in Philadelphia. A slightly fictionalized version of one of my more positive experiences is on this blog, under August 2005, as part of my "Zytron" series. (Note: by the nature of blogs, the posts are in reverse order.)

Writing classes are not a bad thing, but there are sound reasons to question graduate writing programs and MFA writing degrees, which I'll list some time.

The zine (zeen) underground represents an alternate way of producing writers. Note my new post at www.happyamericaliterature.blogspot.com

No comments: